Uncut Gems


When it comes to Adam Sandler, I’ve always had a soft spot for the guy. Even though it’s easy for me to revile his recent comedies (the grossest that I’ve seen was Funny People 2), I find it hard to hate Sandler like I know a sizeable portion of people do. Maybe it’s because by all accounts, he’s a pretty nice guy in real life. Maybe it’s because there’s just this natural coolness to him that I admire; heck, even with something as gross as Eight Crazy Nights, I can’t bring myself to hate Sandler, especially since that whole project came from a sincere motivation to give Jewish kids a holiday classic.

After much thought, however, I think it’s because Sandler has demonstrated he has range; even though most people know him for comedies, he has demonstrated in films like Punch-Drunk Love, Reign Over Me, Funny People, and The Meyerowitz Stories that he can pull off solid dramatic performances. And I like actors who don’t feel like they always have to stick to one genre and try to branch out. You gotta respect that, says I. Now, after having seen his most recent film, the Safdie Brothers’ Uncut Gems, I have even more respect for the guy because this is probably the best performance of his that I have seen so far.

Our story finds Sandler as Howard Ratner, the owner of a New York-based jewelry store who has a major gambling problem that lands him in trouble with very dangerous loan sharks. To get himself out of trouble, he must use an incredibly valuable opal that he believes will pay off his debts. Easier said than done since the jewel is also being sought after by the power forward for the Celtics, Kevin Garnett (as himself and doing a pretty damn good job), who has a strange superstitious belief that the opal positively affects his game. Meanwhile in his personal life, Howard is going through a divorce with his fed-up wife Dinah (Idina Menzel), who has agreed to break the news to their kids after Passover. Needless to say, his plate’s pretty full.

Like I said before, Sandler is the reason to see this film, doing a great job as this compulsive gambler and outright bastard who just doesn’t know how to quit while he’s ahead. The film keeps you on the edge of your seat as he keeps needlessly digging himself deeper and deeper into the hole when he should have just walked away. At times, you almost start to pity him.

All of the other actors do well, too. Lakeith Stanfield continues to impress as Ratner’s assistant, proving his mettle as an actor to be reckoned with. Idina Menzel is a revelation as Ratner’s fed-up, “I’m not standing for any more of your shit” wife, and character actor Eric Bogosian is intimidating as Arno, one of the sharks to whom Howard owes money. My favorite part of the film was Daniel Lopatin’s score, which reminded me of a lot of Wendy Carlos’s work on A Clockwork Orange.

I think most of my problems with the film come down to taste. I can only handle a movie where the main character is an idiotic screwup and every other character is some variation on terrible until I just get tired of it. Also, there are times when the cinematography relies too much on the shaky cam. However, this is a minor problem that is totally forgotten by the film’s surprising ending which I will dare not reveal.

So, bottom line: Uncut Gems is a very good film, and I hope we get to see more performances like this from Sandler in the future!

Comments

Popular Posts