Best and Worst of Summer 2019


Hey, everybody. Sorry I don’t have a new review for you guys this week because there just wasn’t anything out this week that I felt was worth talking about (which seemed to be a mistake on my part because The Angry Birds Movie 2 and Dora and The Lost City of Gold have been getting good reviews while The Kitchen has not…how the hell did that happen?) Anyway, I thought I would take this time to go over what I thought were the best and worst cinematic entries of Summer 2019 - note: Avengers: Endgame will not be on this list because that came out in April, which is technically a month before the cinematic summer season actually starts. With that said, let’s get started with the bottom of the barrel, the 3 worst movies of Summer 2019. Starting with…




3. Men in Black: International 
How do you take a franchise that has pretty much been treading water for 22 years and try to steer it in a new direction? Not like this. Despite the fact that MIB: International is still not necessarily a train wreck, it does represent one of the biggest missed opportunities for a franchise. Instead of doing something interesting with the material – i.e. maybe making a movie about the MIB from the aliens’ point of view, or something like that – it’s yet another buddy cop movie with a MacGuffin hunt, blah, blah, blah, we’ve all seen the first three movies.

 You know, maybe it’s time to let this franchise die. Please? The only one of these films that was actually good was the first one, and the rest have only been OK or bad. So, Sony, please stop. Please.

 *Sigh*…I really hope I’m not doing this same song-and-dance next year with Jason Reitman’s Ghostbusters film.




2. Dark Phoenix

I feel kind of bad about raking this movie over the coals again, mostly because director Simon Kinberg has just been a class act in dealing with the negative reception. But yeah, there’s no denying how disastrous Dark Phoenix turned out to be. From unfinished effects to a recycled score and unintentional hilarity during the dramatic moments, it doesn’t even manage to clear the low bar of X-Men: The Last Stand.

It’s just too bad that this is the last hurrah for the X-Men before Kevin Feige incorporates them into the MCU. But, we’ll see how that turns out whenever they get around to it.




1. The Lion King

Ok, technically speaking, Dark Phoenix was a worse movie than the remake of The Lion King, but at least it wasn’t as nakedly cynical. Much like Beauty and the Beast from 2017, this new remake is just content to coast on nostalgia from the original rather than creating a lasting experience for this new generation. Yes, the graphics look amazing and this movie’s success will probably be a steppingstone for more frequent use of VR technology in filmmaking. But did it have to be used on such a big waste of time? Why not use it on something like, say, Animal Farm or even an adaptation of a big video game?

But, this movie was a success, so what incentive does Disney have to take risk with these remakes, right? We’re just gonna keep getting more and more beat-for-beat retreads of classic Disney films until they run out of stuff, and I’m just gonna be doing this same ranting song-and-dance year in and year out.



All right, let’s move on to the good stuff. The Top 3 Movies of Summer 2019



3. Once Upon a Time in…Hollywood!

Like I said in my audio review, I may just have to see this film again to get the full greatness of it, but yeah, this was a really good movie. The first act and a half drags a little bit for me, but once it gets going, it’s suspenseful, funny, and heartwarming. DiCaprio, Pitt, and Robbie all give great performances, the references to real-life Hollywood in the late 60s are well-researched, and that ending…wow, what a way to go!

Again, I may have to watch this again, but take comfort in knowing that I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

2. Spider-Man: Far From Home

I have very mixed feelings when it comes to the MCU’s version of Spider-Man. Tom Holland has been great in the part ever since he showed up in Captain America: Civil War, but Homecoming lacked a certain amount of pathos that I have come to expect from Spider-Man ever since the Sam Raimi films.

And even though Far From Home didn’t have a lot of that pathos either, it managed to be a fun outing anyway. The comedic bits stick the landing 99% of the time, Tom Holland and Zendaya have great romantic chemistry, and Jake Gyllenhaal gives one of his most entertaining performances ever. And I gotta say, I’m interested in where they’re going after that post-credits scene which I will not spoil. I just hope that they don’t treat it like a joke like they did with the whole Aunt May thing, but we’ll see.

And the number one pick is…


Godzilla: King of the Monsters

I know this may seem like an odd choice, but yeah, I can’t really think of another movie where I had a more fun time. What I liked most about this film is how confident it was in itself, as if to say, “Yeah, we’re a giant kaiju movie and we’re not gonna pretend we’re anything else”. And that confidence comes through in spades. All the human actors serve their purpose and do what they need to do, the kaiju fights are fun even if they do go on a bit long, and Bear McCreary’s score is awesome.

Why did this movie underperform at the box office? I dunno, but thankfully, this won’t derail the plains for Godzilla vs. Kong, which I am a-OK with.


OK, that is my list for Summer 2019. Agree? Disagree? Lemme know in the comments below! Here’s hoping for a great Oscar season! We got some good ones coming out, folks!  

Comments

Popular Posts