INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

Early Thoughts

Hey, guys! So, my original plan for today was to see Independence Day: Resurgence and then write a review for it. But, I feel that I would be more apt to write a review to a sequel of a classic film...if I actually watched the classic film. So, here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna give you guys a short little article divulging my early thoughts on the film. Then, I will watch the first Independence Day so I can give a fairer and possibly more interesting assessment of its sequel. So, here we go.

...I thought it was kinda good. As a dumb summer sci-fi movie, it was pretty serviceable. My absolute favorite part is the climax, because it's the kind of sci-fi mayhem that movie fans like myself can only dream of, corny one-liners and all. I also love the look and cinematography of this film. This is a great looking movie. The technology looks sleek - almost as good as the futuristic tech from The Martian - and the camerawork by Markus Forderer does great at giving some size and scale to the movie, especially during the action scenes.

Y'see, one of the things about Roland Emmerich that I and a lot of my favorite film critics understand is that he makes dumb movies...but he makes them well, to quote Bob Chipman. He knows how to construct cool-looking money shots, he never oversexuallizes his female characters, and he knows how to use character stereotypes in an entertaining fashion. This puts him at odds with somebody like, say, Michael Bay, who does basically the inverse of everything I just mentioned (and no, I'm not gonna call him the Antichrist because, seriously guys, aren't we over the Michael Bay hate at this point?).

If I did have a problem with the movie, it's that there are some character relationships that I wish were either fleshed out more or cut out entirely from the movie. I will go into the specific relationships in my later review. Also, Jeff Goldblum's character doesn't seem to contribute much to the plot, other than just stating the obvious (which ain't Jeff Goldblum's fault; it's more of a script problem). And also, even though this film had its share of funny moments, I wish there was just a little more charisma. Again, I haven't seen the entire original film, but the bits I have seen always featured Will Smith, and he always added great charisma to the film. The younger characters in this film - played by Liam Hemsworth, Jessie Usher, Angelababy, and Travis Tope - are fine and get the job done. But I feel that if there were somebody in this film - aside from Brent Spiner reprising his role as Dr. Okun - who could insert some more charisma into the film, it could have been a little better.

But, as is, it's perfectly adequate. I'd say it's definitely worth the price of...a matinee showing, if only for those big action set pieces. In terms of dumb summer blockbusters, you could do a lot worse.

So, those are my initial thoughts. After I watch the first film, I will be writing a proper review, where I can be more in-depth with the pros and cons of the movie. So, stay tuned! It should be up by Wednesday! 

Comments

Popular Posts